How do I use CodePlex to download samples and sample databases?
- To download the entire set of SQL Server product samples, click on the releases tab for this portal project, then click on the appropriate installer for your computer.
- To focus on samples for a particular technology on the appropriate Product or
Community link in the sample table on the home portal page. After clicking on that link you can:
- Download all the samples for that particular technology area by clicking on the
Releases tab, then clicking on the desired release in the upper right hand "Releases" box if you want a different release than the one selected by default, then clicking on the appropriate installer for your computer.
- Browse the source code without downloading by clicking on the Source Code, then keep clicking on the appropriate folder icons in the Browse column until you find the particular sample source code you wish.
- File a bug or check the status of a bug by clicking on the Issue Tracker tab.
- To view forum posts or create a new thread of forum posts about samples in either this portal project or a particular Product or Community project click on the
Discussions tab in that project.
For more information about CodePlex, see
I can't find the sample database installers. Where are they?
You can find them in the AdventureWorks Sample Databases project
When I install the sample databases I get an error: "Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package." Help!
- This is typically caused by trying to use the SQL Server 2008 installers on a SQL Server
2005 instance. Be sure to download the correct installers for the version of SQL Server you are using. Try executing
SELECT @@VERSION using SQL Server Management Studio or SQLCMD if you aren't sure. The SQL Server
2005 installers are available. See the directions above for how to use the Releases tab for every project (including the sample database project) to find the right version. By default SQL Server
2008 installers are shown, but you can select SQL Server 2005 installers if you wish. Alternatively, you can just find them
I think the CodePlex UI is hard to use!
- It is true that it takes some getting used to, but we think the extra power and flexibility compared to the download center is worth it. If you have specific suggestions for how the CodePlex team could improve the user experience, we encourage you to click
on the CodePlex project and file your suggestion using the Issue Tracker tab. If enough people in the community vote in favor of your suggestion it will be noticed by the team which maintains and improves CodePlex.com.
Where are the Notification Services samples?
- Notification Services samples are not located in a technology specific project as Notification Services is deprecated in SQL Server 2005 and does not ship in SQL Server 2008 (some scenarios may be included in Reporting Services in a future release). However
if you download all the SQL Server 2005 samples from
here the Notification Services samples are included.